View Cart | 0 | Checkout
Since 1999,
has been the most trusted supplier of North Carolina Name Change Forms
for Adults, Minors and New Brides.
For Questions or to Place an Order Please Email Us at

Bride Name Change
Adult Name Change
Minor Name Change

About Us
Three Step Process
Name Change Law Procedures
Name Change FAQ
Contact Us
Credit Card Processing




In most circumstances, you will need the signed and notarized consent of the other parent in order to change your child's name. Under North Carolina law, a parent may not change the name of a minor child without the consent of the other parent, except in the following instances: the other parent is deceased; the minor child has reached the age of 16; the minor child has the consent of the custodial parent who has supported the minor child and the clerk of court is satisfied that the non-custodial parent has abandoned the minor child; or the non-custodial parent has been adjudicated as having abandoned the minor child.

To Change the Name of Child Under 16 Years of Age, You Will Need to Bring the Following Forms and Documents to the Court To File Your Petition:
  • Petition for Name Change (Minor) (must be signed and notarized)
  • Affidavit of Parental Consent (this is needed if only one parent is signing the petition)
  • Child';s Birth Certificate (1 original and 1 copy)
  • Proof of Identification (Parent(s)) (driver's license, passport)
  • Proof of Residency (Parents) - Documents with your name and current address (utility bill, phone bill, cable bill)
  • Filing fee in cash or money order
You should make copies of all forms and documents that you present to the court. Unless both parents are signing the petition form, the non-petitioning parent MUST complete the Affidavit of Parental Consent even if he or she is not on the child's birth certificate. If the other parent is deceased, a death certificate is necessary for proof. If the other parent cannot be located or does not consent to the name change, it is important for you to consult with an attorney. In most circumstances, you will need to establish that the other parent has abandoned the child in order for the court to grant a name change without the other parent's consent.

After you file your forms, you will need to appear for a hearing in court to explain the reasons why you wish to change your child's name. When you appear in court for your hearing, you should bring a self-addressed, stamped envelope so that the court can mail a copy of the decision to you.

To Change the Name of a Child Who is 16 or 17 Years of Age, You Will Need to Bring the Following Forms and Documents to the Court To File Your Petition:
  • Right to Review Request Form (SBI)
  • Records Check Request Checklist (FBI)
  • Applicant Information Form (FBI)
  • Credit Card Payment Form (FBI)
  • Petition for Name Change (Minor)
  • Affidavit of Parental Consent
  • Two (2) Affidavits of Character (from adults who are not related to the child)
  • Affidavit of Outstanding Tax or Child Support
Our Minor Name Change Kit has the forms required to change the name of a child under the age of 16 years of age. If you are looking for forms to change the name of a child who is 16 or 17 years of age, contact us by email at


Changing The Name Of A Minor Child In North Carolina Without The Consent Of Both Parents